.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The One In Seven icon

Remember One in Seven? I wrote it last April as a rallying call for BADD 2006. It struck more of a chord than I had ever expected it to, and is the most-linked-to post on the entire blog.

I'm more grateful than I can say to Trinity for generously creating the rather spiffing icon to the right. Smart, isn't it?

The lack of obvious reference to disability in the image is deliberate: my hope is that the icon will pique the curiosity of non-disabled visitors sufficiently for them to click on it and read the post to which it links. Disability discrimination (at least in the West) is more often the result of thoughtlessness than deliberate malice: I'm hoping, in a small way, to make people think. And I'm aiming at precisely those people who would shrink - for whatever reason - from following up any link which was obviously disability-related.

So I'm pleased and proud to invite any bloggers who support disability equality* to publish the icon on their own sites. The invaluable Goldfish has kindly provided me with the necessary coding:



Copy that little lot and paste it into your blogger template, and Robert should be your dad's brother.

I'm keeping everything crossed for a sudden proliferation of little green icons across the blogosphere. And I think you should know that there's a strong possibility of unattractive sulking if that doesn't happen.


The Editor

*By which I mean that you don't have to be disabled yourself, or to have a blog which concentrates on disability issues, to use the icon. You just have to mind about discrimination.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Editor

As you know, I don't have a blog - for reasons far too tedious to elaborate here.

However I do have both direct and indirect influence over a number of websites / "my space" pages.

Can any of your more technical readers advise whether Goldfish's cutty-pasty code will work in those environments too or, if not, what I would have to do to post that icon / link combo?

Yours, not at all technically mindedly,

Dude

PS. You? Sulk unattractively? Surely not!

11:52 am  
Blogger DD said...

Dame Honoria has successfully added said code. Anything to avoid unattractive sulking.

7:45 pm  
Blogger seahorse said...

I think it will. I like it, it's very smart. I wonder if you can insert it into emails and send it further afield that way, or if that would be spamming? Anyway it'll go up at mine, as I always loved that One in Seven post.

11:53 pm  
Blogger Trinity said...

aww, shucks!

*blush*

glad to help, and again, sorry it took me so dratted long! :)

T

4:05 am  
Blogger Jess said...

Yes! Cat pictures!

And I'll post the icon as soon as I get home and can actually work on my blog instead of just reading and commenting.

And the marmite arrived, leading me to the conclusion that the British are very nice, but also insane. This is a joke, right? Right...?

.....guys...?

8:16 pm  
Blogger Jess said...

PS (and you certainly don't have to publish this): Go drink some water!

8:17 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Now, be fair, I did warn you you might not like it.

It may be that one has to be introduced to it as a child in order to appreciate its finer qualities.

Or not, if this advert is anything to go by.

Erm, but, hey! You'll be able to "treat" your friends, right? Impress them all with your knowledge of British foodstuffs...

Seriously, though, if you check ebay.co.uk, you'll find that there's a thriving business in selling marmite at vastly-inlfated prices to desperate ex-pats. People really do either love it or hate it.

8:27 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Dame Glossop, Seahorse,

Thanks for publishing the icon so swiftly :-)

8:28 pm  
Blogger Amanda said...

I don't blog about disability at all, particularly, but I like to read all of the blogs and hope it's ok that I added the icon to mine.

5:34 am  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Amanda,

Absolutely: the more the merrier.

And, hello :)

6:00 am  
Blogger Ruth said...

thank you both - Lady Bracknell and Trinity! Will be adding it to my blog(s).

4:06 pm  
Blogger seahorse said...

Not at all. It looks very nice sitting where it is on my site and was a good idea for a state of permanence for an excellent post.

1:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home