.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Result!

I'm off to have needles stuck in me soon (of which probably more later - if I survive the experience) but, before I limp off towards the bus stop, I've just got time to draw your attention to this news item.

Colin Bennett, who has Ushers syndrome, has campaigned long and hard for improved induction loop facilities in Brighton and Hove town halls. A court case has been avoided, but Brighton and Hove City Council have backed down and paid £2500 - partly to cover Mr Bennett's legal costs, and the rest to charity.

Which just goes to show what can be done if you have the time, the tenacity, the commitment and the stamina to stand by your guns.

A complete dossier of the correspondence relating to this claim under the DDA is available here.

Many congratulations to Colin: he clearly cares more about what is right than about making life comfortable for those who are supposed to be getting it right. And, whilst he may not be flavour of the month with certain council officials, he's the hero of the hour in my book.


The Editor

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for Colin! It really riles me that some organisations think they've fulfilled their DDA duties by having an inspection or producing a policy or (vile phrase) mission statement. Heaven forbid they should actually do something and make some adjustments.

4:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. If I ever hear the dreaded word 'vision' again, I shall tell the person who spoke it, on page or off, just what that word actually means. It has a completely different meaning to a blind person, no doubt!

Excuse the rant, but this column really encourages you to speak out against the powers-that-be. Not that any of them read it, unfortunately...
Angie

6:02 pm  
Blogger fluttertongue said...

I'm always incredibly impressed by people willing to really make a go of campaigns - especially those lone rangers who try to make things better for more than just themselves. Also - are you being acupunctured? I do hope you enjoy it. I used to have it regularly and it was the most transporting experience. And finally, just generally, I have developed a great love for your blog - your wit is something to be aspired to.

7:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home