.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Pardon?

I had a committee meeting today.

It was in London.

I was not in London. (I only go to London by royal invitation these days, don't you know?)


Ahem.


Anyway.


Instead of travelling all the way to London and back in one day, thereby guaranteeing myself many weeks of excruciating pain (and, quite possibly, Death By Hypo), I attended the meeting via a telephone uplink.


I promise you, that is a lot less exciting* than it sounds.


As Dr Hazel drove a particularly vicious needle into the front of my ankle this afternoon, and winced as I hissed in pain, I said, "No, no: don't apologise! Anything's better than listening to that meeting for another hour and a half!"



The Editor






*Oh, except for the bit when the mike picked up the very rude things the meeting chair was muttering to whoever was sitting beside him while someone dull was droning on interminably about nothing very much. That was my favourite bit. By far.

5 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

Have you considered combining the two activities and having acupuncture during the conference calls?

Not only would this be Time Management par excellence , it would also be the epitome of productive multitasking (I've been reading Managementspeak For Dummies whilst waiting for my nail varnish to dry).

Also the pain would take your mind off the boredom and possibly vice versa.

10:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am humbled whenever I read how you women can multi-task like this; reading AND painting your nails. I'm definitely coming back as a woman next time!

12:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am humbled whenever I read how you men can multi-task like this; writing AND patronising women. I'm definitely coming back as a woman again next time!

6:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could envisage the person/s on the other end of the telecommunication cable as in a state of undress. Or covered in those delectable thingies from Etsey.

Right down to duty. I notice that you are harbouring a wanted person on this blog......
Inspector Lestrade

2:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emmeline made me laugh out loud. (And I've just signed up for Crippen's blog as well!) Spelling 'definitely' correctly puts her in the top 2% of the English-speaking population. Perhaps not merely 2%, but it seems like that some days.

I was vastly amused by some of the other Ouch writers yesterday, but I can't for the life of me, remember which thread I was following. And I can't find it again... the vagaries of the internet...

You need a good laugh when you've got an insidiously progressing ailment like MS. It puts things in better perspective. Plus when you're bent double with laughter, you get more sympathy from unwitting observers!

Sometimes even chocolate...
Angie xx

4:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home