.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

That was the year that was

Yes.

Clearly, I should have written this yesterday. When it was still 2007. That would have made sense.

But I was too tired.

An epithet which can be applied equally well to the whole of the last twelve months as to the very last day of those twelve months.

Apart from possibly last January, before the stress resulting from my employer's failure to make reasonable adjustment for me made me ill; which meant I had to come off the NSAIDs; which meant I had to start taking Tramadol.


Anyway.


Here's a statistical* review of my 2007. Because it seemed to me that looking at the figures would be an interesting and informative approach. What I hadn't bargained on was just how scary some of the totals would be...

Evenings out: 1.


Alcoholic drinks consumed: 1.


Trips to exotic, far-flung Manchester: 2.


Trips to places even more exotic and far-flung than Manchester: 0.


Nights spent away from home: 0.


Nights when sleep adversely affected by pain/insomnia/hideous nightmares: at least 250.


Meds taken: approx 7650. (!!!!!!!)

Osteopathy appointments: 18.


Acupuncture appointments: 36.


Cost of alternative therapies: £1530.


Cost of alternative therapies expressed as fraction of annual take-home pay: almost 1/12.








Still, it hasn't been all bad:-



Cats sharing household: 2.

Successful attempts made by Bertie to catch the squirrel which lives in the garden: 0.

Hours spent on phone talking to the lovely (if occasionally somewhat stern) Pop: 650 at conservative estimate.





The Editor






*Statistics: hardly my strongest suit. Please assume some margin for error.

6 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

Is it really more than a year since the trip to the palace for the OBE? Doesn't time fly!

6:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Mrs. B.

7:57 pm  
Blogger Jess said...

Oh, good lord-- that's right. It's 2008 now, isn't it?

It's been a pleasure to read your blog, and the wit and insight therein-- I'm very happy to have found my way into your corner of the interwebnets. :) Wishing you a happy New Year, and more restful nights than previously!

12:51 am  
Blogger D Phoenix said...

Wow, I recently posted a bit about my daily numbers, but I haven't been brave enough to do my yearly stats. I know our lives are too complex to express numerically, but it is enlightening to look at our own math once in awhile. Might I suggest adding the number of visitors to your site? That might be a nice figure to contemplate!

Welcome to 2008, may it add up well for you.

4:58 am  
Blogger Mary said...

You're braver than I am, I don't even want to think about half of those statistics.

Best wishes for 2008, perhaps the stats in 12 months time will include "beautiful pieces of jewellery created"?

12:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year from me too.

10:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home