.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

MiMiPoland

Ok, I'm going back to work tomorrow. So this blog is very likely to return to its usual semi-somnabulant status for a while. Before I disappear though, I want to tell you that I have this wonderful pair of earrings.








As soon as I saw MiMiPoland's Etsy shop, I just had to buy one of their stunning creations straight away, immediately and at once.



I checked the shop a few days ago and was stunned to see that I am still the only person who has bought anything from these fabulously-talented ladies.



What is going on?!?



There are hundreds upon hundreds of jewellery shops on Etsy which stock pages and pages of things I wouldn't give a second glance to. But original creative vision of this calibre is ignored?



This doesn't seem right. Short of buying the ladies' entire stock up myself, the only thing I can think of to do do is to promote their shop here. Which is what I'm doing in this blog entry. In case that point had passed anybody by.



So. I have "favourited" five fairly random items from the shop so that they will show up on my mini-Etsy sidebar for persons who lack the time or the strength to click through to the shop itself. (I update my favourites so regularly that, if you're reading this on anything other than the day it was written, they'll probably have already slipped out of sight.) And I just want to encourage as many people as I can reach to go and have a look, really.


The Editor

6 Comments:

Blogger whackergirl said...

Sadly even other crafters and artists sometimes mistake Etsy for a bargain store. They get bothered by anything that costs more than 10 dollars.
Those who do fine art ( I fall into this category )especially make it harder on everyone else by grossly underpricing their work, and others then expect those kinds of unrealistic prices.
I have seen things priced so low that the materials couldn't possibly be paid for in that price.
Artists and crafters need to stop questioning their right to make a decent income from their work. The public needs to stop thinking they are going to get handmade items for less than cost.
Nice blog. Thanks for being a person who truely supports artists and artisans.

6:38 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

See, to me, MiMiPoland's work is, if anything underpriced. I can't imagine how anyone could look at the work that has gone in to those earrings and think that the price was outrageous.

In fact, I frequently worry that the artists I buy from cannot possibly be charging enough to keep a roof over their heads.

I get paid for the work I do. I see no reason why artists should be an exception to that general rule.

7:15 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

Greeting M'Lady Bracknell - First of all, thank you for noticing me! I have written about this subject in the past and would have to say that there is a great deal of fear about pricing. Many people who sell on Etsy and elswhere have no business experience. They are afraid that their items won't sell if they are priced anywhere over what they paid for it. There is little that can be done, but your recognition of this and bringing it to the forefront is very important to all of us. Thanks so much...... Sincerely,
Mary
www.AmericanMadeJewelry.com
www.AmericanMadeJewelry.Etsy.com

6:30 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Welcome, Mary :-)

How fortuitous that you arrived at the point when four of your own creations are displayed in my mini-Etsy sidebar!

I feel very strongly that artisans have a right to be paid a reasonable rate for their work - and not just for the materials they have used - and that customers have just got to stop and think about

- why mass-produced tat is so much cheaper; and

- why it's completely unreasonable to expect to pay the same for a handmade item as for something made in a factory in Taiwan.

6:39 pm  
Blogger letitiah said...

woah, those are pretty fantastic earrings. i'm off to check out the shop now ...

5:32 pm  
Blogger Lola said...

I am absolutely loving this shop, thank you for bringing it to the forefront!
I have quite a few beads that I love but will never use in my own creations...maybe I should send them to these lovely ladies in Warsaw and see what they come up with ;)

2:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home