.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The collected opinions of an august and aristocratic personage who, despite her body having succumbed to the ravages of time, yet retains the keen intellect, mordant wit and utter want of tact for which she was so universally lauded in her younger days. Being of a generation unequal to the mysterious demands of the computing device, Lady Bracknell relies on the good offices of her Editor for assistance with the technological aspects of her journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bracknell Towers

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

More tea, vicar?

So, here's the thing.

I hear on the morning news that Whittard's of Chelsea (hereinafter referred to simply as "Whittard's") is at risk of being the next major high street retailer to founder in what nobody is ever going to persuade me to call "the credit crunch". (Oh, how I hate that sort of sound bite journalism! A crunch is either something you put in a bowl for your breakfast, or something rather unpleasant you inflict on your abdominal muscles. But I digress...)

Having patronised Whittard's china section for many a long year, I am concerned to hear that it may not be available for me to peruse for very much longer.

I have only, to the best of my recollection, broken one plate ever. In my entire life. (Although plates of mine have been, on occasion, broken by visiting males of the species.) Nevertheless, despite the care I take of my crockery, the rules of my life are such that, should my preferred source of crockery dry up, my entire existing stock will immediately fall prey to some sort of terrible, plate-smashing cataclysm. After which I will be forced - horror of horrors - to replace it with things which match!!

So I determine at once that I will head Whittard's-wards after work.

I want to do my bit to add to their takings for the day, so that the business looks as attractive as it possibly can to any potential buyers.

And that's what I do.

I buy some plates, and some dishes, and a mug which appears to have a cartoon picture of Bertie on it. And then I have to get a taxi home because I daren't carry such fragile - not to mention heavy - items home on a two-days-before-Christmas bus on which the passengers are crammed together in a manner which even sardines would eschew as being downright invasive of their personal space.


And then, once I'm home, I read this.

And discover that my loyalty wasn't needed after all.



But, hey: at least I have some plates, and some dishes, and a mug which appears to have a cartoon picture of Bertie on it.



The Editor

6 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

I guess this wouldn't be a good time to tell you about their on-line sale ?

6:59 pm  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

No, that's ok: it doesn't have any of the things in it that I bought yesterday.

And the Whittard's shop in Liverpool is one of the ones where they send end-of-line pieces to be sold at a discount.

So all is well :-)

7:02 pm  
Blogger Mary said...

All things considered, not a bad ending there.

Merry Christmas.

9:41 pm  
Blogger stelmadesigns said...

Well, I decide to view my etsy page to see if anyone had an extremely last minute purchase, I see Lady Bracknell has hearted one of my favorite button creations and I read her profile; not your usual etsy member and she seems interesting to say the least....so I see a link to this blog, I like what I am reading, and I also see that same piece of mine on the left! Well, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays too! Good thing I like to snoop....

6:34 am  
Blogger Lady Bracknell said...

Mary,

Indeed not. And Merry Christmas to you and yours, also.

JJ,

I'm afraid I'm having a fit of favouriting this morning while I'm waiting for the water to be hot enough for me to have a shower, so your wonderful button necklaces have slipped out of the five-most-recent-favourites and, therefore, off the blog :-( But I'm pleased you caught them while at least one of them was still showing!

Merry Christmas to you and to all your buttons :-)

6:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it was a nice bit of serendipity!

I much appreciated it, thank you!

Julia

7:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home